Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Rock Canyon


Do you like Rock Canyon? There is some really important information about Rock Canyon right here:

www.provo.org

In a nutshell, there is a developer that intends on turning Rock Canyon (red slab side) into a gravel pit. The city is trying to decided weather or not they have to give a "conditional use permit" to this man.

Sam was telling a young person about this situation the other day. This was his response, "I'm sure there will be many people angry about that." What was left unsaid was, "I'm sure not willing to do anything about it, those "others" will take care of it.

This reminds me of the other day when I was in my class of 500 or so students in the Joseph Smith Auditorium. The teacher asked for a volunteer for the prayer. I waited....and waited, just to see how long it would take. When I was unbearably embarrassed for all 599 students, I raised my hand and said the prayer. No one to volunteer. No one to step up. Is that what happened in the great meeting in the pre-existence when the Savior said, "Here am I send me." Was he the only one to step forward. Oh no, there was one other willing.

I'm just really amazed at the lack of...spunk? effort? passion? in particularly young people around me. I'm used to that in older people. We settle back in our years. Things hurt, life presses in and many other things are demanding our attention. But now, the disease has spread to the young. Apathy. Distraction. Ipods. Cell phones. Too much gaming. I don't know but how do I inoculate myself?

Why do I complain? I just see the good that could be done. I understand that people are doing their best. I really believe they are. I don't blame them either. I just fear for what our society will become when the vollunteerism and goodness becomes squashed to an apathetic pile of gravel.

2 comments:

Brittany Webster said...

Bryn, I like the points you brought up. I always find it amazing when no one volunteers for the prayer. I see what you are saying in regards to the other distractions. You are so good about showing your kids how to have fun outside and learning new things.

Alisa said...

What?! I love Rock Canyon! I am shocked that enough people aren't doing anything about it. And amen to everything you said about apathy these days. There are too many distractions.