
The Son's of Helaman were a good group of boys. In fact, if I could dream of an end result for my boys it would be just as those strapling young men...exact in their duties and honor and obedience. It says one of the reasons that they were the way they were was because they remembered what their mothers said to them. They always knew their mothers knew it.
As I was reading this very verse today my sweet oldest three were pushing and manipulating and disobeying to the best of their abilities. I repeated oft said phrases and I heard myself say them. What happens to those words? It seems like they go in and out of their ears. Will they stay in those memory cells one day to ring ever so clearly as they are men? I can only believe it will... one day they'll look back and remember all those years of family home evening and simple statements made time and time again. Do your best,don't hit, use your words, don't make excuses, if you want the Spirit serve others and seek truth, don't forget your prayers, do you want a priesthood blessing, have you done your homework, have you practiced you piano, have you cleaned your room, have you brushed your teeth, don't run with the scizors/screwdriver/fork/insert sharp object here.
Sam says his mom used to say, "Sam, you be the master!!" This was a planned attempt to help little Sam realize who the "chooser" was and to act and not be acted upon. The phrase rings in his ears and has helped him to become what he is today. So I'm going to be looking for "motherly slogans" to say to my boys. Their eyes may roll, they may complain, but they will know in the end...that I knew and I refused that they leave without knowing exactly what I know.

No comments:
Post a Comment