Thursday, September 11, 2008

What I think about what I think


I'm often afraid I have too many opinions. I don't want to be clouded by false ideas that may distract me from finding out what is really true. Having said that.....I do have a few strong opinions...I guess I just have to be sure that I know how to shut up and listen when it is time and also change my mind.

I'm sure this has happened to you...Someone comes up to you and says..."Remember that time when you said....yada yada...that really struck a chord with me and I changed xyz part of my life because of it."

ARGHHH!!! That is a lot of pressure. Especially when the yada yada that I said may or may not have been a good thing.

One of my opinions right now that may or may not be changing is about blogging. What is the point of this whole thing. Presumptuous life on display? Connection/comparison....I'm not sure..jury still out.

Here is one thing that I have solidified my opinion upon... I really believe President Kimball was so inspired and visionary to encourage us to have a garden and exsersize home food production and storage. There are so many great things about it on so many levels.

First.....Working outside is just a joy. Our body needs sunshine to produce vitamin D. You can work outside by yourself or with your family or friends. It's good for your emotional and physical health. Second....it connects us to the earth, our food and we understand the "cost" of making food. (See Wendel Berry personal Essays...) It helps us to live according to the "Word of Wisdom." (See Mormon.org)

2 comments:

Lael said...

Also see "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by the always entertaining Barbara Kingsolver.

Lael said...

Also, I think people hear what they want to hear. You have spouted volumes of wisdom that no one gave a hoot about. People are just sometimes ready to hear what they need to know (and usually already know, you just put it into words in that eloquent way of yours).