Sunday, June 14, 2009

Great quotes


“An almost forgotten means of economic self-reliance is the home production of food. We are too accustomed to going to stores and purchasing what we need. By producing some of our food we reduce, to a great extent, the impact of inflation on our money. More importantly, we learn how to produce our own food and involve all family members in a beneficial project.”

President Ezra Taft Benson (1899–1994), “Prepare for the Days of Tribulation,” Ensign, Nov. 1980, 32.


The rich brown color of newly turned earth, the gentle placement of seeds in a straight garden furrow, then the act of faith as we cover the seeds with dirt. We water them and wait as nature does its job. As the seeds grow, we weed and work, and as we do so we are blessed with increased self-reliance and insight into the law of the harvest. Eventually, we enjoy the succulent fruits of our labors—food.

Ensign magazine June 2009


1 comment:

Mary Elizabeth Liberty said...

Bryn, I am loving this food storage/home garden series. I finally got a couple 72 hour kits and our water storage ready last week so I feel like I've made some progress in the right direction. Next to amass the food storage and grow some of my own food.