My idea of food storage is something that has evolved and is evolving with what our family needs. I'd like to formulate in words what I think and hopefully it will solidify my ideas....so bear with me as I take a few posts to do it.
Why do I store food? Well first of all I see it as one of my primary responsibilities as a nurturing mother to feed my family food that will make them healthy and strong through out their lives. I feel like I am creating their idea of "comfort foods." They may stray from them when they have their free choice to buy their own food, but I really feel like long term people resort back to food they ate while they were at home. Having said that I want to qualify it with the fact that I did feed my kids from Old McDonalds last night as Eli calls it. But I'm pretty okay with that especially since most of the time they are eating whole grains, whole plant foods and other food that will make it okay to eat a hamburger and chicken nuggets every once in a while when Sam is out of town.
I am sickened by the state of our food production in this country. We grow things on the backs of poor immigrants that barely eat from the four food groups themselves. We ship the few strains of foods that we eat to factories to be processed or we ship the food to packaging plants and then the food is again shipped to a distribution place to be sold. It's really such a poor poor idea for food production. I can't be a locavore, because I don't live in California, but I can grow some of my own food.(Which I humbly venture is the ultimate in locavorianism) I can bottle some of my own food. I know exactly what went on this food to make it grow and I know exactly how it was grown. I can bottle it in glass jars to reduct consumption waste and landfill...fill.
to be continued

1 comment:
That is ironic ... I just posted this quote on my blog today (before I checked yours):
As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive.
~~ Michael Pollan
Post a Comment